Chili & Sesame Savory Granola
February 16, 2019
There’s nothing that excites a foodie more than the industry pioneering creative ways to eat food. Of the many strokes of culinary genius in today’s day and age, the one that has me particularly excited is…granola.
A good granola is not hard to perfect, yet it is hard to come by in today’s day and age. With the health forward movement, some of the best granola recipes featuring copious amounts of fat & sugar have had to step away from the stoplight. While generally healthier than traditional sweets & snacks, granola is still ridden with carbs and coated with sugars. Without the oil and maple syrup or honey, granola becomes quite frankly…vanilla— too simple in flavor, texture, and color.
That’s when savory granola came into play. For health geeks like me, it seems to shine a new light onto my eating habits. No longer did I have to eat granola by the tablespoon in fear of compromising my health. Savory granola recipes became a staple in my diet — from crouton replacement to post-workout snacks. Of course, that’s not to say I no longer enjoy a hearty bowl of the sugar coated classic, but the change of scenery is much appreciated. And tbh, savory granola?! What a concept.
This granola recipe is inspired by an everyday staple in the common Chinese kitchen: Chili Crisp Oil. Yes, it doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue well, but the condiment more than makes up for it with flavor. The most widespread brand of Chili Crisp Oil, Lao Gan Ma, has wiggled it’s way into the daily eating habits of the Eastern Chinese person. From an objective perspective, it provides a simple remedy for the most common kitchen conundrum: flavor. From fixing bland porridge to forming the base for dipping sauces, Chili Crisp Oil is simply known for it’s superior savory flavor and is the special ingredient in this savory granola recipe.
The layers of flavor and complexity in this recipe is unbelievable. The bold flavors of the chili crisp oil along with a hint of sesame oil perfectly complement the toasted grains, nuts, and seeds. Sprinkle it over your salad for lunch or with a hearty bowl of soup, but if you’re anything like me then you’ll find yourself making another batch within the hour. Yes, it’s seriously that good.
Savory Chili Granola
Brad & Butter - Feb 16, 2019
- 1 + 1/4 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. chinese chili oil (i used lao gan ma)
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F degrees.
- In a bowl combine the oats, nuts, seeds, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Mix to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg white, chili crisp oil, sesame oil, and honey. Whisk until the mixture is homogenous. Pour over the dry ingredients, coating thoroughly with the liquid ingredients.
- Pour the prepared granola onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spreading it out into a thin layer to promote an even bake. Bake for approximately 24-26 minutes, stirring the savory granola halfway through the bake. Cool to room temperature.