Chili Pistachio Roasted Chicken Salad Sando
June 20, 2019
Tell me I’m not alone here…but chicken salad is totally underrated. There’s a perception out there that chicken salad is just some flavorless, homogeneous concoction of chicken & mayonnaise when in reality, it holds so much potential. To be completely honest with you, I used to despise chicken salad because I always thought eating chicken cold was plain gross. But over the years, I came to appreciate the classic American fare for it’s simplicity and flavor.
Sure, some people are purists and believe that chicken salad should only consist of chicken and mayo, but I say why not spice things up with some extra pizzazz. This chicken salad packs quite the punch with the addition of chili for spice, pistachios for crunch, and fresh grapes for a pop of sweetness. I also opted to sub out the traditional mayonnaise for greek yogurt for that extra tang and structure.
While chicken breast often seems to be the protein of choice for a classic chicken salad, I decided to use 100% thigh to maximize flavor. The slow roasted chicken thigh recipe is phenomenal on its own and really shines in chicken salad form. And while it takes some time to roast the old bird low & slow, it’s definitely a step I wouldn’t miss. I used a crusty grain bread for my sandwiches because that was all I could find in my pantry, but I would probably switch to a whole grain sliced loaf for a less messy option.
Regardless of how you prefer your chicken salad sandwiches, I’m sure this one won’t disappoint. It’s got so much going on and is incredibly easy to make. And if you’re not a fan of chicken salad, I say you’re still going to want to roast those chicken thighs — trust me, you’ll thank me later. Oh…and don’t forget to slice your bread at an angle because I will come hunt you down…
Chili Pistachio Roasted Chicken Salad Sandwich
Brad & Butter | June 20, 2019
Ingredients (serves 1 or 2)
- 1/2 cup slow-roasted chicken thigh (roughly chopped, recipe below)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pistachios (toasted and roughly chopped)
- 4 seedless red grapes (cut into 8ths)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 8 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- 1.5 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 spanish onion
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1/4 cup slow-roasted onions (from the roasted chicken thighs)
- Rub the honey, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper over the chicken thighs and marinate in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F. Thinly slice the onion and scatter across a roasting pan. Remove the chicken thighs from the fridge and place on top of the onions. Drizzle with olive oil and cover the roasting pan tightly with foil. Roast for 2-3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Season to taste.
- Toast the bread with a little olive oil or butter until golden brown and crisp.
- Spread the chicken salad over the bottom half of the loaf. Top with slow-roasted onions. Spread a tiny portion of greek yogurt onto the top half of the loaf and place over the built chicken salad sandwich.
- Slice (diagonally!) and enjoy!