Bradley ChenComment

Chocolate Milk Bread

Bradley ChenComment
Chocolate Milk Bread

Chocolate Milk Bread

February 9, 2018

The past week has been what I can only describe as...rough. Not necessarily in an academic or social setting, but nonetheless...rough. Have you ever tried to make the best of a situation by convincing yourself you feel a certain way. Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing. College is great. Such an experience. 


Well, college is....not that great. Although I'm 70% sure I feel this way solely because of the weather, the other 30% of me is convinced that college really is just best. Of course, I can not vouch for every freshman at Cornell, but I can say that I have never been this home-sick, friend-sick, and family-sick. Unfortunately it doesn't help that this is the first year I'll be spending Chinese New Year away from my family. But I don't want to bore you with the details. 

In order to make myself feel better, I do the one thing that I know and can do well: bake. I wanted to have a proper baking session in which I was focused on nothing but prioritizing my own happiness. Thus, I decided to make these fluffy milk breads. These Asian-styled breads have crispy exteriors and light, airy interiors, making them a fantastic addition to any meal. Although these do take a while to bake, the recipe is really quite simple. Give it a go and let me know how it works out for you :) In the meantime, I'm just going to gorge on carbs because like I said, I'm prioritizing my own happiness today.





For the Tang Zhong

  • 1/3 cup bread flour
  • 1/2 cup of whole milk
  • 1/2 cup of water

For the dough

  • 2+1/3 cup of bread flour
  • 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. of dry active yeast
  • 1 tsp. of salt
  • 1/2 cup of warm milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of Tang Zhong
  • 4 tbsp. of butter, room temperature

For the Tang Zhong

  1. Whisk the ingredients together in a pot.

  2. Bring to a simmer and whisk until the mixture is thick and viscous, approximately 7 minutes. Set aside to cool

For the dough

  1. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, yeast, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Make sure the yeast does not touch the salt to prevent the salt from killing the yeast.

  2. Make a well in the dry mixture and add the warm milk, egg, and Tang Zhong. Knead until a dough begins to form, approximately 5 minutes.

  3. Knead in the softened butter one tablespoon at a time. Knead until the butter is fully incorporated and the dough has developed sufficient gluten, approximately 15 minutes. 

  4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl lightly coated with butter. Cover with a kitchen towel and let the dough prove in a warm area for an hour or until doubled in size.*

  5. Once proven, shape the dough into approximately twelve 60g dough balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and prove again for 20-30 minutes.

  6. Bake in a 175C/350F degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, rotating once half way through. 

  7. Cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!

* To provide the optimal temperature for the proving process, I place my dough in the oven with a large pot of hot water.