Flourless Almond & Chocolate Torte
March 4, 2019
About a week ago, I won my first Instagram giveaway and boy I couldn’t have been more excited. Up until that point, giveaway’s were always a spectacle that I would participate in, but never really believed in because, tbh, the odds of winning are just so low. But lo-and-behold, my cake stand from Cloudy Kitchen & American Heirloom came in just a couple days ago and I have been giddy trying to figure out what I should make to complement the beautiful cake stand.
This recipe is inspired by classic French pastries that are filled with decadent chocolate and fragrant almond frangipane. As a budding pastry boy, a trip to Paris was probably the most exciting experience I could have ever hoped for. Life there was simple, yet there was so much appreciation for complexities — the art, the fashion, the pastries. Biting down into a fresh baked croissant every morning to satisfy my fat kid inside was a life simply too good to be true. This recipe is an amalgam and homage to those memories & experiences. Thus, wanting to highlight the simplicity of the cake stand, I figured there was nothing more fitting to do so than a classic fan favorite — flourless chocolate torte.
My flourless chocolate torte recipe is one I have tested over the years with countless flavor combinations and ingredient ratios — and I have to say, this chocolate & almond combo is by far my favorite. The aromatic almond complements the bitter chocolate like two peas in a pod and the melt-in-your-mouth texture remind me of all the intricate Parisian pastries I had sampled a couple years back. So without further ado, a classic recipe simplified for the masses: flourless almond & chocolate torte, the Brad & Butter way.
Flourless Almond & Chocolate Torte
Brad & Butter | Mar 4, 2019
Ingredients (makes one 6-inch round)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 7 tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 5 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tbsp. granulated white sugar
- shaved chocolate or chocolate chips (optional)
- toasted almond slivers (optional)
- unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 6 inch round cake tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a bain marie, whisking to combine. Set aside to cool slightly. While your chocolate & butter mixture is cooling, separate your egg yolks and egg whites. Once the chocolate & butter mixture is cool to the touch, beat in the yolks and set aside. In as separate bowl, make a French Meringue with the egg whites and sugar, whisking until medium-stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate, butter, & egg yolk mixture in three batches. On the third addition, add the salt, almond extract, vanilla extract, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Working quickly but carefully, fold until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 23-26 minutes or until the cake springs back when prodded slightly and the top begins to form cracks. Cool the flourless almond & chocolate torte until cool enough to handle before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until it holds medium-soft peaks.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, top with the fresh almond whipped cream, shaved chocolate or chocolate chips, toasted almonds, and cocoa powder, if desired.