Sambal Oelek Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
October 2, 2019
Today, I’m here to change all of your opinions on….vegetables otherwise known as greens, rabbit food, and a whole bunch of unfavorable terms. First off, let me start by letting you know that your mum was right — EAT. YOUR. GREENS. For those who have grown nice and tall (not me) with fantastic vision (not me), you get what I mean.
All jokes aside, I think one reason people stay away from vegetables is because they can seem a bit unapproachable. When I first started venturing into the veg space I definitely felt overwhelmed by all the different appropriate cooking methods for each species and genus and whatnot. In my confusion, I came up with one solution: throw her in the oven…most of the time. While roasting won’ t work for every type of vegetable out there, it’s honestly the optimal way to maximize flavor in a product that typically doesn’t have too much protein.
When it comes to vegetables, I want to see that crisp, almost burnt exterior that complements the tender, perfectly cooked produce. When it comes to roasting, it’s all about the high temperature and low moisture. Sure, we apply some wet ingredients to the cauliflower steaks at the end of the recipe, but that solution dries out and caramelizes into a beautiful, crisp layer.
This dish will have you mind-blown. It’s a flavor bomb of spicy, tangy, sweet, savory, and sour concentrated into beautiful, chonky, thick-cut cauliflower steaks. The star of this dish is sambal oelek, an Indonesian red chili paste that has quite the kick and a gorgeous tang. It’s practically made for garlic and ginger to fortify and balance the strong flavors present in the sauce. If you’re looking to impress with an appetizer or even a vegetarian main, this recipe has got your back! Your date will never question your worth and will have you roasting sambal basted cauliflower practically every night. You have my word.
Give it a go and make sure to let me know your thoughts in the comments below or on my Instagram @thebradandbutter!
Garlic Sambal Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
Brad & Butter | Oct 2, 2019
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp. toasted almonds
- 1 tsp. green onion (chopped)
- Finely mince the garlic and ginger.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 230C/450F.
- Cut the green foilage and stem of the cauliflower and discard. Slice the cauliflower into steaks approximately 1-2 inches thick.
- Brush the cauliflower steaks with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking sheet with foil and roast in the oven for 10-13 minutes, removing the foil after 10 minutes of roasting.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and brush with half of the marinade. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the steaks have charred slightly on the bottom. Flip the steaks over and repeat with the rest of the marinade.
- Drizzle with sesame oil and lemon juice and top with crumbled feta and toasted almonds. Enjoy!